Safety on board ships has come a long way in reducing accidents, but there is still a lot of scope to improve safety.
This Shipboard Safety Officer course has been designed with a view of training the designated safety officer in understanding the importance of running a safer and cleaner ship thus spreading safety awareness amongst fellow seafarers.
The course is based on the Guidelines given in the STCW Code 2010 Table A-II/2 & A-III/2 and IMO Model Course 3.11 (Marine Accident & Incident Investigation).
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Have the knowledge of the general dangers involved in shipboard operations.
- Understand the role of a safety officer.
- Understand the importance of identifying general hazards and spreading safety awareness.
- Carry out Risk assessment.
- Carry out accident investigations and root cause analysis.
- Handle stress and fatigue and understand its implications to accidents.
- Understand the importance of reporting near misses and accidents.
- Handle internal and external safety audits.
All those completing this course will be qualified to be designated as SAFETY OFFICERS ON BOARD a ship.